What Does the DOMA Decision Mean for You?
July 9, 2013 by HRC staff
Post submitted by David McCabe, HRC Digital Media Intern
Almost two weeks after the Supreme Court ruled Section 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act to be unconstitutional, married same-sex couples are still trying to understand what the ruling means for them.
A group of LGBT organizations, including HRC, have put together a set of fact sheets covering several areas affected by the DOMA decision. They were updated last week — since federal agencies are still determining how they will implement the high court's ruling. Some of the fact sheets are also available in Spanish.
Resources in English
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Family and Medical Leave Act for Non-Federal Employees (FMLA)
- FSS Benefits and Protections for Civilian Federal Employees and Spouses
- Federal Taxes
- Social Security
- Veteran Spousal Benefits
- Military Spousal Benefits
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- Supplemental Security Income for Aged, Blind, and Disabled (SSI)
- Private Employment
Resources en Español
Issues: Federal Advocacy
April 10, 2014
April 14, 2014
Blog: Defense of Marriage Act
March 27, 2014
April 7, 2014