Twelve Schools and Districts Honored at Welcoming Schools Seal of Excellence Event
May 5, 2014 by Eric Cameron, Digital Media Specialist
Teachers, students, administrators and community members came together this past Friday for a very special event honoring schools and districts across the country that have gone the extra mile to create safer learning environments.
The inaugural Welcoming Schools Seal of Excellence Award ceremony was held Friday evening at the J.J. Hill Montessori Magnet School in Saint Paul, Minnesota.
Ten schools and two school districts (listed below) were recognized for demonstrating high standards of implementation of Welcoming Schools in the areas of Leadership Development, Professional Development, Family Engagement, and Classroom Strategies.
Special guests at Friday’s event included Saint Paul Mayor Christopher B. Coleman and State Senator Scott Dibble.
J.J. Hill students presented results of a student research project charting incidents of bias related to race and gender in their schools and an essay about gay politician, Harvey Milk. A student performance of Cyndi Lauper’s “True Colors.” brought the crowd to their feet.
The event also featured a special screening of the Welcoming Schools professional development film What Can We Do? Bias, Bullying, and Bystanders.
What Can We Do? spotlights teachers from J.J. Hill and Hiawatha Leadership Academy in Minneapolis generating open conversations with students about the impact of bullying and the power of students standing up for each other.
Thanks to all our honorees for their incredible advocacy to create safer, more inclusive learning environments, and thanks to all those who joined us Friday night in celebrating this critical work.
Welcoming Schools provides resources, training and technical assistance to help elementary schools take a comprehensive approach to school climate and bullying prevention. The Welcoming Schools approach is LGBT-inclusive, and creates school climates that welcome all family structures and all students.
Schools and Districts Honored:
- Acorn Woodland Elementary School – Oakland, CA
- Berkeley Arts Magnet – Berkeley, CA
- Berkeley Unified School District – Berkeley, CA
- Brouillet Elementary School – Puyallup, WA
- Carver Elementary School – Maplewood, MN
- Castle Elementary School – Saint Paul, MN
- Garden Oaks Montessori Magnet – Houston, TX
- Hiawatha Leadership Academy – Minneapolis, MN
- J.J. Hill Montessori – Saint Paul, MN
- Malcolm X Elementary School – Berkeley, CA
- Mirror Lake Elementary School – Plantation, FL
- Puyallup School District – Puyallup, WA
July 30, 2014