Michele Bachmann Refuses to Acknowledge LGBT Families During National Adoption Month
November 22, 2013 by HRC staff
Post submited by Dan Rafter, Former HRC Associate Director of Communications
Representative Michele Bachmann is refusing to include families led by same-sex couples in an adoption month resolution she is sponsoring.
New York representative Sean Patrick Maloney sent Bachmann a letter asking her to also recognize same-sex families. In his letter, Maloney – the father of three children with his partner – shared his personal story:
Having a family that looks a little different doesn't mean we lead unconventional lives.
We struggle to ensure that left shoes end up on left feet; we fret over class trips; and we wipe runny noses. Our story is not unlike that of same-sex adoptive parents across the country. In fact, an estimated 16,000 same-sex couples are raising more than 22,000 adopted children, and approximately 2,600 same-sex couples are raising 3,400 foster children in the United States alone. Same-sex couples are six times more likely than their opposite-sex counterparts to be raising foster children.
Unfortunately, about two million lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people are interested in adopting, but are prohibited from doing so due to discriminatory laws, policies and practices. In fact, the majority of states across the country do not permit LGBT people to jointly petition to adopt children.
Unfortunately, Bachmann had no interest in listening to her colleague’s story – and no interest in acknowledging the thousands of same-sex couples all across the country working hard to support their families. She rejected his offer, with a spokesman saying: “The focus of the resolution is on helping vulnerable children, as has always been the case when we have introduced it in previous years.”
Her position should not be surprising. In case you’ve forgotten some of her greatest hits on LGBT people, here’s a sampling of just a few of the Michele Bachmann gems from over the years:
- “It's a very sad life. It's part of Satan, I think, to say this is gay. It's anything but gay."
- "If you’re involved in the gay and lesbian lifestyle, it’s bondage. It is personal bondage, personal despair and personal enslavement."
- “And what a bizarre time we’re in … when a judge will say to little children that you can’t say the pledge of allegiance, but you must learn that homosexuality is normal and you should try it.”
- “With total sexual anarchy, which I believe we are now on the verge of going into, when the culture takes sexual anarchy and legalizes it, raises that to the level of legal protection, that is when governments can come in with wholesale discrimination..."
- “The sex curriculum will be essentially by taught by the local gay community.”
December 10, 2014
December 9, 2014
December 11, 2014
December 10, 2014