Medal Count for Openly Gay & Lesbian Athletes
August 13, 2012 by Maureen McCarty, HRC Senior Digital Strategist
Of this year’s 23 openly gay and lesbian Olympians, 10 took home seven medals.
Here’s the breakdown:
- Seimone Augustus of U.S. Women’s Basketball team
- Carl Hester of Great Britain’s Dressage team
- Marilyn Agliotti, Carlien Dirkse van den Heuvel, Kim Lammers and Maartje Paumen of Netherlands’ field hockey team. (These four players' medals are counted as one in the overall medal count.)
- Megan Rapinoe of U.S. Women’s soccer team
- Judith Arndt of Germany’s cycling team, who was the first of the 23 to medal.
- Edward Gal of Netherlands’ dressage team
- Lisa Raymond of U.S. tennis team
LGBT Olympians are teammates and competitors first and foremost, but they are also highly visible role models who send a powerful message to LGBT youth and all who watch the games that LGBT people can compete, win and inspire just like anyone else.
H/T SB Nation
December 2, 2013