Medal Count for Openly Gay & Lesbian Athletes
August 13, 2012 by Maureen McCarty, HRC Associate Director of Digital Media
Of this year’s 23 openly gay and lesbian Olympians, 10 took home seven medals.
Here’s the breakdown:
- Seimone Augustus of U.S. Women’s Basketball team
- Carl Hester of Great Britain’s Dressage team
- Marilyn Agliotti, Carlien Dirkse van den Heuvel, Kim Lammers and Maartje Paumen of Netherlands’ field hockey team. (These four players' medals are counted as one in the overall medal count.)
- Megan Rapinoe of U.S. Women’s soccer team
- Judith Arndt of Germany’s cycling team, who was the first of the 23 to medal.
- Edward Gal of Netherlands’ dressage team
- Lisa Raymond of U.S. tennis team
LGBT Olympians are teammates and competitors first and foremost, but they are also highly visible role models who send a powerful message to LGBT youth and all who watch the games that LGBT people can compete, win and inspire just like anyone else.
H/T SB Nation
August 14, 2014
August 11, 2014
July 30, 2014
August 7, 2014