Hospitals in the News
August 30, 2011 by HRC staff
The following post is by Tom Sullivan, deputy director of the HRC Foundation Family Project:
The U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals edition hits the newsstands today rating the facilities on a range of specialties. Hospitals that rank highly in numerous specialties are awarded the coveted Honor Roll status in the report.
As I browse the list, I can’t help but notice a lot of hospitals that I have come to know in my work on the Healthcare Equality Index (HEI) over the past five years. The HEI is the Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s annual survey on healthcare patient policies, measuring LGBT inclusiveness. Although these two sources are very different, they both share the goal of measuring quality in healthcare and it is therefore gratifying to see so many of the facilities on the USNWR Honor Roll have also chosen to participate in the HEI.
The U.S. News & World Report’s 2012 Honor Roll is as follows. Note that the HEI Leader designation indicates hospitals had a perfect score in the HEI 2011 survey.
- Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore [HEI participant]
- Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston [HEI participant]
- Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. [HEI participant]
- Cleveland Clinic [HEI participant]
- Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles [HEI participant]
- New York-Presbyterian University Hospital, New York [HEI participant]
- UCSF Medical Center, San Francisco, CA [HEI 2011 LEADER]
- Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston, MA [HEI 2011 LEADER]
- Duke University Medical Center, Durham, N.C. [HEI participant]
- Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia
- Barnes-Jewish Hospital/Washington University, St. Louis, MO [HEI participant]
- UPMC-University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
- University of Washington Medical Center, Seattle, WA [HEI 2011 LEADER]
- University of Michigan Hospitals and Health Centers, Ann Arbor [HEI 2011 participant]
- Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville [HEI 2011 participant]
- Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York
- Stanford Hospital and Clinics, Stanford, CA [HEI 2011 participant]
Congratulations to all of the HEI participants honored in this week by USNWR. We appreciate their dedication to healthcare equality for LGBT patients and families demonstrated by participating in the HEI, as well.
October 13, 2014
October 7, 2014