HRC Blog

Black LGBT group organizing candlelight vigil TONIGHT In Los Angeles over Oscar Grant

The Barbara Jordan/Bayard Rustin Coalition is sponsoring a Los Angeles candlelight vigil tonight in Leimert Park to honor the memory of Oscar Grant, who was shot and killed in the very early hours of 2009 by a Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) officer. Grant was shot in the back while he lay handcuffed on the ground in full view of other train passengers. Pam Spaulding has more coverage on the controversy that happened on New Years Day. Watch the KTVU report on the shooting:

In addition to the vigil that will be held tonight (Wed. 1/14) from 7 - 9pm, people across the country are seeking to raise awareness about this shooting death as part of the National Day of Action to demand justice for 22-year-old Oscar Grant. Demonstrators are asking for:

  • criminal prosecution of ALL officers involved in the incident at the Fruitvale BART station that resulted in the death of Oscar Grant III;
  • BART to hand over this investigation to the CA State Department of Justice;
  • BART to provide the community a forum to voice their concerns;
  • and BART to present to the public a policy that will ensure that this will never happen again.

**UPDATE (12:23 pm): BART officer arrested on murder warrant in NY Day shooting:

Johannes Mehserle, 27, of Lafayette was taken into custody in Douglas County, Nev., said Deputy Steve Velez of the Douglas County sheriff's office. The arrest was also confirmed by David Chai, chief of staff to Oakland Mayor Ron Dellums. ...The arrest came on the eve of a protest scheduled for 4 p.m. today outside Oakland City Hall, the latest in a series of demonstrations in which BART has been accused of mishandling the investigation. BART police on Monday turned over the results of their preliminary investigation to Orloff's office. A separate investigation by Oakland police was launched last week, and Mehserle's arrest was related to that probe, sources said. The state attorney general is also monitoring the case. ...Mehserle declined to speak to BART criminal investigators after the shooting. Then last Wednesday he resigned rather than answer questions from BART's internal affairs division.

Mehserle's attorney, Christopher Miller, says a press conference on his client's arrest will be held today.

Hat tip: Mad Professah

comments powered by Disqus

Related Posts

Recent Tweets