HRC Foundation’s 2016 Corporate Equality Index (CEI), which is the national benchmarking tool on corporate policies and practices pertinent to LGBT employees, made history again this year, culminating a great year for LGBT equality in workplaces around the globe.
For the first time in its 14-year history, the CEI required that top-scoring companies have a global non-discrimination policy or code of conduct that specifically prohibits discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity.
Additionally in the 2016 CEI report, a record 407 major businesses — spanning nearly every industry and geography — earned a top score of 100 percent and the distinction of “Best Places to Work for LGBT Equality.” In this year’s report, 851 of the nation’s largest businesses demonstrated their commitment to LGBT equality and inclusion.
Other highlights from the CEI include:
- Three-fourths of the Fortune 500 and 93 percent of the entire CEI universe of businesses offer explicit gender identity non-discrimination protections in the U.S.
- Two-fifths of the Fortune 500 and 60 percent of the CEI universe of businesses offer transgender-inclusive health care coverage, up from 0 in 2002 and nearly six times as many businesses as five years ago.
- More than eight in ten of CEI-rated businesses offer education and training programs that specifically include definitions and/ or scenarios on gender identity in the workplace.
- Over three hundred major businesses have adopted gender transition guidelines for employees and their teams to establish best practices in transgender inclusion.
- Sixty percent of CEI-rated businesses offer transgender-inclusive healthcare coverage, up from 0 in 2002 to 49 in the 2009 CEI to 278 in the 2013 CEI and 418 in 2015.
- More than 330 major employers have adopted supportive inclusion guidelines for transgender workers who are transitioning.
The CEI is a vital part of our work here at HRC, providing members and supporters the information they need to support LGBT-inclusive businesses and to make sure businesses across the nation, and now the globe, embrace LGBT employees and policies.
Learn more about the CEI here.
Counting down to 2016, HRC is celebrating our greatest milestones and victories in 2015. It has been another incredible year for LGBT equality and we could not have done it without you -- our members, readers and supporters--and we look forward to continuing our work in 2016. Stay tuned for more highlights from 2015 on HRC's blog.