Post submitted by Kat Skiles, former HRC Senior Marketing Strategist
1. Tim Kaine’s very first executive action as governor of Virginia was to sign an order banning discrimination against state employees on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, political affiliation, veteran status, or disability.
2. As governor, he also opposed a Virginia constitutional amendment to ban any legal recognition of same-sex couples.
3. Kaine has advocated for full federal equality as senator and joined the amicus brief to the U.S. Supreme Court declaring the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) unconstitutional. He also co-sponsored legislation to repeal DOMA.
4. He has advocated for passage of the Equality Act to provide comprehensive federal non-discrimination protections for LGBTQ Americans.
5. Kaine’s advocacy on behalf of LGBTQ people has earned him a 90% rating from the Human Rights Campaign.