Fighting for Marriage Equality
Following victories at the ballot box in Maine, Maryland and Washington, there is now unstoppable momentum for marriage equality in this country. HRC’s members and supporters drove these victories. Other efforts such as the Americans for Marriage Equality campaign, the release of a guide to Congress members’ positions on marriage and more helped to change hearts and minds in favor of equal marriage rights for all Americans.
- HRC donated more than $1.4 million to advance marriage in Washington. HRC provided key campaign leadership via our local steering committee and staff. We energized our members and supporters around the campaign, both locally and nationally, with more than 600,000 emails. Recognizing the importance of the business case for marriage equality, HRC helped recruit companies to publicly support the marriage campaign.
- HRC contributed more than $840,000 to advance marriage equality in Maine, along with sending nearly 85,000 emails to HRC members and supporters. Several hundred volunteers and nearly half a dozen HRC staff were on the ground in Maine organizing critical field and faith-based support throughout the campaign.
- HRC’s involvement in the fight for marriage equality in Maryland was its largest-ever investment in a state marriage campaign. As a founding member of Marylanders for Marriage Equality, HRC contributed nearly $2.8 million to coalition efforts. We mobilized voters in support of the campaign via weekly phone banks, 475,000 emails to HRC members and supporters, town halls and canvassing. HRC also provided key campaign leadership, as well as significant field organizing resources and legal support.
- Minnesota made history by becoming the first state to defeat a discriminatory amendment that would have banned marriage equality in the state. HRC is proud to have contributed more than $1 million to defeat the amendment. We also sent 480,000 emails to supporters of marriage equality and we’ve helped recruit more than 1,100 volunteers to work on the campaign. HRC also provided key staff leadership and campaign support.
- HRC continued to push for passage of the Respect for Marriage Act, legislation to repeal the Defense of Marriage Act, and to shine a light on House Republican leaders’ waste of millions of taxpayer dollars on the defense of that discriminatory law.
- HRC continued its work with Americans for Marriage Equality, a public engagement campaign featuring prominent Americans who support committed gay and lesbian couples getting married. The campaign features videos in support of marriage equality.